Bulletin Board Blowout—Part Two

Every school year there is some new project we tackle. This year it was our library. In the previous posting I showed how our library wall was redesigned for the new school year.

IMG_1321

Last time we showed you how the flowers were created. This posting will talk about how the butterflies and sun were made.

 

Flying Away

A very magical display came from an international posting on Pinterest.

7d06d74967cf80d8507e215f5cd93a15

They made it look like the butterflies were floating out of the book.  I knew I just had to try this and downloaded the master for the butterflies. Then I bought scrapbook paper in every color of the rainbow and cut it to fit in my printer. You could do this with construction paper but the designs in scrapbook paper give it more texture.

IMG_1260

After printing the butterflies onto the paper I cut them out in pairs.

IMG_1236

The smaller one is meant to be stacked on top of the larger one.  To hold them in place I used a product called Zots.

IMG_1231

You can get this at any craft or scrapbook store.  You could use glue but Zots have a very strong adhesive and won’t leak through the paper.

IMG_1235

This did take some time to do so it makes for a nice project while watching TV.

IMG_1249

Each butterfly was then sorted out by colors and put into plastic baggies.

IMG_1262

This made it easy for transporting, storing, and sorting when I got to class to assemble.

The cutouts were stapled onto the bulletin board in an arching formation. The smaller butterfly wings were folded up just a little to give it a 3-D effect.

IMG_1322

Sunshine Day

The corner felt a bit empty so I decided to make a sun.  Having discovered tissue paper flowers last year I turned one into this final product.

I took an orange and yellow piece of tissue paper.

IMG_1304

I cut the yellow tissue paper about a half an inch on each side so just a hint of orange would show when done.

IMG_1305

Stacking the yellow on top of the orange paper I accordion folded the two.  It was important that the yellow was on top so it would remain the main color.

IMG_1308

Then I separated the two pieces, folded them up and cut triangular tips on each end of each piece.Then I stacked the yellow back on top of the orange and refolded them.

IMG_1312 IMG_1314

The middle was cinched together with a piece of ribbon.  Then I put glue on the top layer of paper and brought it around so it adhered to the other side (this opens up into a fan shape as you do it).  Repeat with the other side. The final product was attached to the wall with adhesive dots.

IMG_1317

Last year my students had the largest amount of growth and highest reading scores of any class I have ever had.  I’m not saying it was the bulleting board but… who knows what this year will inspire!!

IMG_1328

By The Uncluttered Teacher

If you would like more information on this and other organizing topics check our newest book.  It shares common ways people get stuck when they try to organize and how to solve them.

BookCover_proof_adjusted

Visit us at our store at Teachers Pay Teachers.

If you would like more organizing tips check out our book The Uncluttered Teacher.

BookCover_UnclutteredTeacher




Order the digital version of this book and see other products at ourstore at  Teachers Pay Teachers.